Puntland: We Don’t Recognize Hassan Sheikh As A Legitimate President of Somalia

|

Garowe (Kaa TV) – Somalia’s semi-autonomous regional state of Puntland has declared that it no longer recognizes Hassan Sheikh Mohamud as the legitimate President of Somalia, arguing that his constitutional term expired on May 15, 2026.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Puntland administration said the terms of both President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud and Somalia’s Federal Parliament had expired under the country’s Provisional Federal Constitution.

Puntland also endorsed resolutions adopted by the Somali Future Council, an opposition coalition based in Mogadishu, and called for accountability in the management of Somalia’s electoral and constitutional processes.

“The meeting of the Puntland Council of Ministers concluded with decisive resolutions aimed at safeguarding the unity and cohesion of the Somali people, while reaffirming Puntland’s commitment to defending the constitutional framework of the Federal Republic of Somalia,” the statement said.

Citing Article 91 of Somalia’s Provisional Federal Constitution, the Puntland Council of Ministers stated that the term of the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia ended on May 15, 2026.

“Consequently, Puntland declares that Hassan Sheikh Mohamud is now recognized as a former president and no longer has the legal authority to occupy or continue operating from the Office of the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia,” the statement added.

Expiry of of the mandate of the Federal Government 

Puntland also said that, under Article 60 of the Provisional Constitution, the mandate of Somalia’s Federal Parliament expired on April 14, 2026, effectively ending the legal authority of both houses of parliament.

The regional administration welcomed resolutions issued by the Somali Future Council during a meeting held in Mogadishu on May 15, 2026, which similarly declared that the mandates of President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud and the Federal Parliament had expired.

Puntland further called for responsibility and transparency in the management of Somalia’s electoral process.

“The Federal Government, by violating its own constitution, has also established a disputed electoral committee that lacks legal legitimacy under the Provisional Constitution and the 2012 political agreement, and therefore has no lawful authority to oversee elections for the Federal Member States of Somalia,” the statement said.

Puntland officially suspended cooperation with the Federal Government in Mogadishu two years ago, accusing it of constitutional violations.

Since last year, Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni has aligned himself with the opposition coalition that accuses the Federal Government of attempting to extend President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud’s term in office.

The Puntland administration and opposition groups have also rejected constitutional amendments introduced by the Federal Government, as well as the proposed “one person, one vote” electoral model, which critics describe as an attempt to prolong the current administration’s mandate.

The mandate of Somalia’s Federal Parliament expired in mid-April, while the presidential term ended in mid-May, deepening political uncertainty in the country.

A political deadlock over the electoral process has triggered rising tensions, security concerns, and opposition protests in Mogadishu in recent weeks.

According to Thursday’s statement, Puntland said Somalia’s federal institutions have entered a transitional period and urged both Somali stakeholders and the international community to recognize that the legal mandates of the country’s federal institutions have expired.

Puntland called on all parties to respect constitutional limits until a consensual agreement is reached on elections for Somalia’s Federal Parliament and Presidency.

The regional administration also urged international organizations and foreign governments to engage directly with Puntland until what it described as a legitimate and legally recognized federal authority is established through consensus.

“The Puntland Council of Ministers also condemned the intimidation, harassment, and restrictions allegedly imposed by former President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud on Somali citizens living in Mogadishu,” the statement added.

Puntland further called on Somali citizens to participate in efforts aimed at “saving the country” and rebuilding Somali state institutions, which it said had deteriorated despite years of international support and reconstruction efforts.

The Puntland Government also expressed appreciation to international partners for their continued support toward Somalia’s recovery and state-building process.

Related Articles

Live Now

Follow us on Social Media

Trending

News